Monday, September 12, 2011

New Adventures

         It's been a long and exciting week in Atlanta. I finally started working at my placements last Tuesday. I am a mentor, service, and club coordinator at Kindezi Charter School. Also, I am a intern at the Metro-Atlanta Furniture Bank. The Furniture Bank is an organization that provides free furniture to people transitioning from homeless shelters to independent living.
        I wasn't sure what to expect at my placements. I never work at a nonprofit organization or a school for that matter. My college experience did not prepare me working with kids or folks in rough circumstances. I was petrified of screwing up. Luckily, my anxiety was short lived. When I began work at the Furniture Bank and Kindezi, my supervisors were excited to have me as a volunteer, but not expecting me to be ready by day one. At both placements, I made a few mistakes, but that's part of my service. In order me to help others, I have to learn new skills, face challenges, and build new relationships. I know as the year passes by I will become more confident and prepared in following God's plan for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment