Sunday, March 4, 2012

Seeing Your Work as a Form of Community

A week ago, I decided to go see a play about Black History Month at Kindezi. It was the first time I went to one of the big after school events due to forgetfulness and lack of motivation. The play was wonderful. They didn't talk about the typical historical African American figures. Instead, they discuss of the importance of African culture throughout world history leading up today. They even taught this history major a few things. For example, I had no idea that a power ancient civilization thrived in the heart of what is now Zimbabwe! By the end of the play, one of my students ran up to me to give me a high five and meet his parents. I was flattered.

 I was really happy I came to the school that night. Sometimes it hard to motivate myself to participate work-related activities outside my normal work day. When the weekend comes by I just want to go home, relax, and forget about the world.  However, I'm beginning to see the benefits of taking the extra-step in putting yourself out there for your placement. It gives you the chance to see the people at your job in a whole different light. I never saw my students act or dance until I saw the play. I was awestruck by their talent. I also go the chance to meet some of  my students' parents.

Besides a new perspective, these events give more opportunities in building relationships. I see this in the after school soccer club that teachers, interns, and administrators participate in every Friday. In that type of event we are not working, but just having fun. All the worries about grading papers, grants, and talking to disgruntle parents melt away. The more of I think about it, Kindezi and the Furniture Bank are in some way a community. They are not just co-workers, but friends. They are willing to go out of their way for each other. It is this deep understanding of interconnected and friendship that separates these organizations from others.




Here it is! It has literally took a month, but I did it! I finally got a pick of the  Furniture Bank  warehouse.

Here's a interesting fact, we do not own this property, but rent for a lot money.  This will change next year, when the Furniture Bank moves to its new location on Murphy Ave. 

Here is one of our trucks (left side) and mattress trailer (right side). We have two mid-size trucks  and a mini-truck  used for delivering/picking up donations. The large trailer is use for dumping mattresses that are too ragged or stained for our clients. 







No comments:

Post a Comment